Ganpati Bappa Moriya............!!!
1) 4 cups (scraped) fresh coconut
2) 2 cups grated gud (jaggery)
3) ½ tsp Cardmom Powder
4) 2 1/2 cups Ambemohar fine rice flour
5) 3 cups of water
6) 3 teaspoon of white butter
7) ½ teaspoon of Salt
1) Mix coconut and gud in a pan and cook on medium heat till the mixture becomes dry but not too dry (it should not stick to your hand). Remove from heat and let it cool. Divide the mixture into small lemon size portions. Keep aside.
2) Bring one cup of water to a boil in a pan; add Pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon of butter to it.
3) Add one cup of rice flour in a flow, stirring continuously to prevent lumps from forming, on a low flame. Cover the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from heat.
4) Grease your palms with a little oil, and knead the hot cooked rice mixture or Ukad to soft dough. Keep covered.
5) Divide dough into big lemon size balls. With greased palms flatten a ball to form a disc with diameter of three inches. Place a portion of jaggery-coconut mixture in the center, form eight to ten pleats with finger, gather them together to form a tip and seal.
6) Repeat this procedure till all dough is used.
7) Steam them in a Pressur cooker without whistle, for ten to fifteen minutes. After steaming, the Modaks are ready to be served with pure ghee.
Repeat the steps 4 to 8 for remaining batches, each of one-cup rice flour. Prepare only one batch of one or maximum two cups rice flour at a time, till you have Perfect in the making of an Ukad & Modak.